Pages

23 differences between Facebook and Twitter

1) I use Twitter for real-time news reporting. Example, I follow @raptors for real-time, game-time updates. Facebook.com/raptors tells me what time the game started.

2) I use Facebook for pictures. Example, I will not go to someone’s Twitter page to look through a bunch of pictures from a bachelor party. I do that on Facebook.

3) I update my status on Facebook. I tweet my every move. My Facebook status is a summary of events, or the best event that has happened within a 12-hour period. And I share the events from hour 1 through 12 on Twitter.

4) I stalk people on Twitter. Example, combined, I look @Mashable, or @SportsGuy33, and even @KingJames, 100 times a day, every day. I do not look at anyone even close to that much on Facebook. You know, come to think of it, there should be a once a day rule for looking at someone else’s Facebook page, as it is much more personal. Actually, it would be cool if Facebook made it an option to select and control how many page views you could get in one day, and give and take away permissions to certain people.

5) I randomly ideate for Facebook a lot more than I do for Twitter. Example, see above.

6) I put Facebook first over Twitter when I speak or write about them both in the same reference. Example, see this question. Also, refer to title.

7) I personally know every one of my Facebook friends. I personally know about 15% of my Twitter followers.

8) I have two-way, three-way, four-way conversations and connections with people I generally know on Facebook. Because of that, Facebook is more personal for me. Example, I comment on pictures, videos, quotes, articles, and other comments on Facebook, and this can be within a stream that’s 5-5000 comments long. I might reply to a Tweet every once in a while, which is an isolated dialogue, and retweet others’ posts, which is a huge compliment to that personal, but still fairly impersonal.

9) I add to discussions on relevant trending topics with people I don’t generally don’t know on Twitter. Example, I add Tweets to events I find interesting, like #thedecision, #inception, #g20, #vmas, #bieberfever, with people who I am not following and are not my followers.

10) I follow celebrities on Twitter. Example, I do not go to Chris Bosh’s Facebook page unless I’m told to via Twitter, blog post, or ESPN article.

11) I watch videos on Facebook. Example, I first watched keyboard cat on Facebook. Second example, I watched the latest @KingJames Nike commercial, ‘What should I do?’ through Facebook. I went to Twitter to read what @KingJames was saying about it.

12) I refer to people and celebrities via their Twitter name, not their Facebook url. Example, see above.

13) I use Twitter more on my phone. Example, before I go to sleep and when I wake up every day, I read ESPN, check Twitter, and read either SmartBrief (morning) or blog posts (night) on my Blackberry. I wait until I get to work to check Facebook.

14) I go to Twitter to follow events. I go to Facebook to watch events. Example, I went to Twitter to follow both the G20 Submit, and this summer’s NBA free agency fiasco (yes, that was an event, a sporting event). I watched Obama get inaugurated, and Michael Jackson’s funeral via Facebook, both in real-time, of course.

15) I share Facebook with my off-line friends. Example, when I break into my sister’s Facebook account and rewrite her Facebook status to something that makes me sound like the best brother in the world, I will share that with whoever is standing around me before and after posting it. Second example, I will call people over to my computer screen to watch a video on Facebook, or to look at how ridiculously drunk, stupid, hot, or not, someone looks in a picture.

16) I have more fun on Facebook. Example, see above.

17) I like Facebook more. Example, this point. Also, refer to previous two points.

18) I like Twitter more. Refer to this point. Also, refer to points 9 through 14.

19) I go back and forth with which one I like more, Facebook or Twitter or Facebook or Twitter. Example, this point. Second and third examples, points 17 and 18. Note, this is a not a difference but rather a constant difference of opinion I have with myself.

20) I defend Twitter. I don’t have to defend Facebook. Examples:

Not me: ‘Twitter is a fade.’
Me: ‘It’s changing the way people get information – from search-centric to influence-centric’
Not me: ‘Twitter doesn’t make money, they will collapse any day.’
Me: ‘Twitter is changing behavior. As Bill Gates said, “To be successful, create a need and then provide that need” – the money will come.’
Not me: ‘Twitter is a single-focused service. Facebook is taking over the entire web.’
Me: ‘True.’
Not me: ‘I love Facebook.’
Me: ‘Me too.’

21) I am more loyal to brands on Facebook. Example, I engaged in Starbuck’s Holiday Campaign via Facebook – watched the Video, shared the 2 for 1 deal, bought and drank the kool-aid, I mean, Peppermint Latté (don’t judge me). If I do see a deal on Twitter, I will take note and occasionally act. I just don’t see them as often due to their tweet streaming.

22) Facebook has a movie. 

23) Twitter has a bird. 

Got any more differences? Add them below. ~ p

No comments: