Pages

Xbox (Microsoft) Kinect launches $500 million campaign

The ads for Microsoft's new controller-less Xbox stystem, Kinect, have surfaced. AdAge reports that they are rolling it out with a $500 million budget. Yeah, wow. Luckily, I think they're great, so as much as they're bound to get annoying with that many impressions over the media, it will take a while. Plus, it looks like they've done numerous executions to keep interest high. The only suggestion I have for Agency215 (Xbox's AOR) is to end with a big Super of a Microsoft logo. 

Yeah...I just suggested to end with a huge client logo. Here's why - these commercials are cool. Not overly hard to do when your product is wicked, but it's also easier than you might think to screw it up. Microsoft, as a brand, has suffered in the last few years. Their commercials and, well, marketing, has kinda stunk. So now, as customers, we don't associate with them as much as we once did. But this product is so good that it can remind us that, 'Hey, these guys were cool and relevant at some point. They were the ones who commercialized this whole personal computer thing. I should like them again.' 


Sony has another opinion on Microsoft's new system. They've softly launched a defense campaign to counter with the benefits of their new Move controller, trying to convince anyone who will listen that it makes for a better gaming experience. I have a PS3 and I love it. But if I had both of these systems at my disposal, there is a good chance that the Kinect might soon become the Swifer to my PS3 mop.  

What do you think? Is this something you would buy or want as a gift? ~ p





No comments: